Re: Updated Software Map test site

On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 08:46, Paul Cooper wrote:
> #webhacker is my first go on IRC so I have no idea if there really are
> lots of people asking what program can read a .foo file, but if the
> numbers are significant it could be very useful. JMO but I think beginners
> think in terms of applications but with a bit more experience they begin
> understand file types and realise that many apps can read .foo and want a
> choice (and therefore want to know all apps that can read .foo).

I guess you do have a point re: experienced users. There is a limitation
on the Trove system that each entry is able to categorize itself in n
options in a category, where n is configurable (e.g. 3 topic categories,
3 license, 3 programming languaage, etc). Right now n is set to 3, which
is a pretty nice number so people don't get carried away in categorizing
their project. This means that people will only be able to enter up to 3
Windows equivalent programs, and 3 file extensions (this is a limitation
for things like media players).

If people think that this will be a major limitation I could put a hack
in Trove to treat the file extensions category special, which would
allow more than n options to be selected.

> Anyway if you haven't got time, don't worry, once we get this into cvs
> I'll get round to hacking it in sometime.

It's not a problem. It's pretty easy to add this stuff, although I'll
need help listing which Windows equivalents / file extensions each app
supports.

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.org