Re: Communication [Sun wise] - developer.gnome.org

Joakim and fellow web hackers,

In a recent e-mail to gnome-private, Joakim wrote:

> This is a good idea. We made the "Meet the developers" section of
> www.gnome.org back in May, but that has to be maintained by hand, and is a
> big pain. For the new GNOME site, we're planning on doing this in a more
> sensible fashion, that is, letting developers register and edit their own
> info.
>
> If you have ideas on what should be included, please let us know, by Cc:ing
> stuff to gnome-web-list gnome org

The GNOME Foundation membership committee is going to have to create
something similar to this to track membership applications, including,
at least, name, contact information, some idea of what projects people
are contributing to, corp. affiliation (if any), etc.  While there's
data which we will need to store for membership purposes (expiration
dates, approval by the membership committee, etc.), perhaps the
"Biographical" information could be shared with your "Meet the
developers" section?  (Subject, of course, to a developer choice to
opt-out from your interface, although our database will likely be
mandatory for members.)  The nice thing about a relational database
is that we could easily share some data, while still keeping a table
for membership-only data which was limited to our access, etc.

I was going to start hacking on this this week, but perhaps we can
pool our efforts?  Or at least not design systems which will be
fundamentally incompatible down the road?

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39 columbia edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999