Re: Translation of the new comp

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:17:28PM -0500, Martin Lee wrote:
> When I made my comps, I didn't put images in because almost all gnome
> art doesn't use images. It's mostly Tigert style art. I think the use of
> images would be good, but someone looking at the gnome site for the
> first time may wonder "what do mountains and trees have to do with
> gnome?". Although it looks good, another choice of images might work
> better. (linux world pictures, penguin ice sculptures, etc...)

That'd be a lot more difficult to fit in and make work, though. Landscapes
work because they're largely horizontal, and easy to make out in the somewhat

> As for combining the comps, that could work. My design could expand
> (fill 100% of the browser width), with the use of images this would have
> to change to a fixed width. This isn't a big deal to me, but I can't
> speak for everyone else.

No, it wouldn't. It's completely doable to do the HTML so it still expands.
Personally, I strongly dislike fixed width pages.

> I'm done making new designs. I think we have several good designs
> already and should either combine, or pick one. It seems that there is a
> lot of talk right after a new design comes out, then things die down
> after the excitement is over.

That's my impression too. Which is why it seems my latest comp is going to be
the one we go with, as there's been only one dissenting opinion on that.

I have to add that it already does include a lot of elements from your
original comps, those were the ones I liked best of the ones that were posted
here, so I used that basic layout as a starting point for mine (rather easy
to see when you look at them side by side).

--
Joakim Ziegler - Ximian web monkey - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
  FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer