comp stevehall-6 and variations

After Martin's stroke of genius
(http://www.infovariant.com/mlee/g2.gif), it seems everybody's been only
able to do re-interpretations of that original idea. While this series
has been a great development so far, I wanted to back up and reconsider
some additional thoughts that I felt we still hadn't addressed yet:

* Two graphic variations on the same theme: one for the user, the other
for developers.
* Consideration for site structure. If we keep doing only the front
page, we're never going to get an idea for how the design will stand up
on 99.9% of the site's pages. Lets get serious about how the site
structure impacts the design.
* Some aesthetic references to the original GNOME design. Yeah, I know
some people didn't like it, but we should still be able to recall *some*
element of it. Automobile designs carry specific visual cues for decades
just to maintain continuity through whatever stylistic trend is popular
at the moment. GNOME (and GNU) have always had a certain look. We should
be able to at least acknowledge that past.

So I did a comp that tried to collect this stuff into our excellent
progress thus far:

Version 1
  Home: http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-stevehall-06a.htm
  User:
http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-stevehall-06a-usr.htm
  Devel:
http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-stevehall-06a-devel.htm

Version 2 (drops the white box around the top left quadrant's GNOME
foot)
  Home: http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-stevehall-06b.htm
  User:
http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-stevehall-06b-usr.htm
  Devel:
http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-stevehall-06b-devel.htm
  Devel2:
http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/comp-stevehall-06b-devel2.htm

  Devel2 is a variation to provide a heavier duty navigation scheme,
using both the top and side menus. It isn't dead true to the
compositional (User on top, Developer on sides) but it can easily handle
three levels of navigation, if not more.

Steve  [ digitect mindspring com ]