Re: Comp.

On 31 Jan 2001 02:50:48 -0600, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> This is basically the front page. The subpages would get subnavigation in the
> bar on the left, where the quick links are now, and the logo would shrink on
> the subpages as well. It needs some more graphics, but I didn't find much
> that was terribly relevant, so I talked to Tuomas about getting some new
> icons for the site as soon as he has some time. I was thinking about at least
> one icon per section (in the top bar).

I initially didn't like the way you had sections across the top, but the
more I think about it, the more I like the idea.  I think that is an
effective method to keep navigation clean.  The only bad part is that
the quick links aren't across sections.....but most likely people would
only use them from the front page anyway.  The one suggestion that I
would make is that we clearly mark which section the user is in, even
though it should be obvious by the content.  Since we don't have nested
navigation, I think it is important to make it obvious where on the site
the user is.

On the subject of Quick Links, I continue to be an advocate of a
"project of the week" or "get involved" link of some kind....I still
contend that it is pretty important to try and make it easy for people
to find a little project to do if they have some downtime.

> As usual, nothing finished, but I've tried to combine what I've seen as the
> best aspects of the stuff that's been posted here up to now. The stuff in the
> main content area is the most preliminary, as I've focused on the framework
> and navigation stuff first of all.

The recent software part might work nicely if it were right-aligned,
giving some whitespace between it and the recent news.  I also like the
idea of having sections for news articles, with an icon for each
section, ala slashdot.  That might make the page look less
text-heavy/dull.

Also, the light grey background seems a bit drab....white might be a
little nicer.  Actually, I am not really all that fond of any of the
colors.....Some of the other colors on your color cube seem like they
may be more appropriate choices.

I like the prominent placing of the search bar....but I wonder if it
could/should be placed on the same row as other things (like
left-aligning the sections, and having the search on the right).  If
anything, it makes for less pretty html, and adds a little length to the
page.

> http://www.avmaria.com/comp-joakimziegler-1.png

    --Ryan