Re: Localized Pages

---- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Rose" <menthos menthos com>
To: "Daniel Bennett" <daniel bennett jnli com>; "Felipe Contreras"
<al593181 mail mty itesm mx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Localized Pages

> >> The reason I'm stating that I think international visitors want
> >> translated content *by default* is based on my own experience, some of
> >> it as simple as watching my dad do testing of web sites (I tell him
> >> where to go, he tries to do that, I watch him do stuff without
helping).
> >> As it turns out, he seems to be a very good test object for novice user
> >> testing :-)
> >

> > Yes! Content instead of flames, that's what I was waiting for.
> > Felipe argued that *from his own experience* auto-localization is not
> > necessary..
>
> Could that be because he doesn't use localization at all? Well, in my
> experience he is a minority among the non-native English computer users
> around the world, that in fact do use localization, and depend on it.

Listen, I'm not a minority, I've used windows in english, in spanish and
it's the same for me, for my sister, for my brother, for my father, and for
each one on my friends, cousings, and uncles, teachers. etc. That's because
for spanish users think it's better to se "Windows's Configuration" than
"Configuración de Windows". I've used Linux Mandrake in different
international settings, english, spanish, and japanesse. I've even
translated gnome-pm for a friend, but he still have not worked out the
translation anyway, it's a good option but not so important as some other
things, for him.

Now, from MY POINT OF VIEW, I don't see sweeden grandpas of someone centred
on translation proects as the majority, nor the whole germany and sweeden. I
see that no one of my friends uses linux. I don't see linux is for average
users, it might be, but not now, worry when you have to. Worry for the real
important things right now. Also I see Christian as a person that really
believe on translation, and what I see is that he mostly works on it, and
it's ok, I whould be happy if he translates the whole gnome site to his
mother tounge, and others. I think I have better vision of what the linux
commmunity is, and I think I have a better vision of the world. I know
people from USA, Pakistan and Brazil, thank's to the english. Now I see that
the world is becoming more american, and USA is becoming more like the
world, that's a concept called globalization for the ones that does't know
it. That's why the most famous phrase of my friends is "O shit", if you
translate it to "O mierda" doesn't make ANY SENSE, but you can translate it,
the true is that I don't care, I and all my friends are ok with the
oriniginal thing.

So I think internationalitazion is not of prime importance.

Let's finish this flame war, as Joakim Said.

If you want to say opinions about this don't generalize saying that I am the
only one that gives not so many importance to translations, and also I don't
think that you must finish me, we are a group and need to decide as a whole
and I think Christian is thinking just for himself since he has not changed
nor a single bit his ideas.

Also I don't think offensive and sarcastic comments are good in a group, I
just say what I think.

A thought:
Why are so many countries, so many coins, so many languages, whouldn't it be
better to join everything? Right, it's too hard, and also we need to belive
in our nationality, that's why everyone defend his country, and World War 2
is a perfect example. (Just a thought, nothing to have with this)