Re: Task Analysis (press and search sections)

> Shawn T Amundson wrote:
> >
> >The first time I saw
> >"Contact and press" I thought that section was *for* the
> >press.  (Which left a bad image of GNOME in my mind.)
>
> *****
> PRESS
> *****
>
> I now write in the Linux section for a spanish magazine, and I can say
> you that mass media are extremly important and have a direct impact in
> the number of users of Gnome software (for ex: there are 500.000 persons
> who reads "my" magazine per month).
>         I think that having a powerful press section is a must. But be
> careful, the section should be active mantained. For example if I want
> to write news about Gnome and I visit the actual press section:
> http://www.gnome.org/pressreleases.html
> I could think that there is nothing new in the Gnome Proyect.
>         There is no need to have all press resources in the navigation
> bar. It is enought to have a "press room" link (perhaps in the General
> Section) with all press resources: press releases (with search engine),
> press mailling list, speaking about gnome (renamed as press contacts),
> in the press (articles in others sites about gnome) and others like
> press materials, etc. The press publish and search could be a new
> category in news.gnome.org.

The one problem with a gnome "press kit" is that we really would have a fairly
large burden of keeping track of all of the GNOME media exposure, and press
releases.  Do we want that to be separate to what Gnotices does?  It would have
a lot of duplicate content.  Furthermore, if we *do* decide to have a separate
section intended for the press, we would have the responsibility of keeping it
up to date, or suffer the consequences in the media.  I would advocate just
having one "News" section, for all audiences.

While we do have this great opportunity to really improve the GNOME websites, we
don't want to bite off more than we can chew.  It is not just a matter of
building the initial site - it is also a matter of constant maintenence.  We need
to remember this as we think of what (and how) we include new sections.

    --Ryan