Yet another introduction

Hi,

My name is Paul McGarry and I am a C-programmer/web-jockey.
In many respects a jack of all trades (and master of none).

As a GNOME user I remember that when I first started using
Linux and GNOME I was attracted to the GNOME project (rather
than KDE I suppose) largely because of it's (old) webpage.
I remember being intrigued by the CVS checkin logs available
just off the front page, which made it clear that GNOME was
a lively and exciting project.

The focus of whe www.gnome.org website has probably changed
since then, GNOME is well established in developers minds
and as we are approaching GNOME 1.4 it's clear that GNOME
is a viable technology, so www.gnome.org's role is probably
more to do with providing information useful to end users
than it was then.

My one criticism of the current front page is that the
"Recent Software" list doesn't briefly say what each piece
of software does. Of the current list:

gppp, gnotepad+, TradeClient, gravityd, gtktalog,Moleskine

only one (gnotepad+) seems to have a name which a someone
could use to make a good guess at what it does. How
many people are missing out on pieces of software they would
be interested in, purely because they don't want to click on
each piece of software individually to see what it does?

In any case, my skills relevant to this project are PHP
and PostgreSQL and MySQL. I'm very interested in the
discussion of what we need to do to (and get right from
the start) in order to provide a maintainable, functional
large-scale website for the future. I'm also very interested
in following up on those discussions with action too :)

I think this is an exciting opportunity for me to contribute
back to the GNOME project, work with some cool people, learn
some new things and Make A Difference(TM).

Paul McGarry