Re: Correct specification of fonts

> I must interject though - who cares about fonts at this stage? Shouldn't we
> be discussing structure?

Very true. Although there needs to be some thought as to the font, I
think that the site should be designed first and a font chosen because it
works well with the design and is part of the design. If sans-serif goes
with the design, then use sans-serif. Font selection should be an
implementation of the design.

> > In my oppinion (and also considering fonts), i think 8pt fonts are a good
> > size for such a web page because they are not too small, but also not big
> > at all, and do fit any resolution nicely from 640x480 to 1900... I'd like
> > to know what you guys think about this size. (Note that this is the
> > equivalent to font size 1)

I preffer to use px sizes when using font styles, and find that some
smaller font sizes will view fine  (although small) in IE, but are close to
unreadable in Netscape. I find that 10px - 12px is usually a good size -
depending on what the content is.

I think however, we should be focusing on brainstorming ideas for
navagation, navagation items, page elements, layout, and the flow of the
site.

When I made up the comp (http://www.infovariant.com/mlee/g.gif) I wasn't
sure what links we would need and what important information needs to be
profiled on the from page. Design will be much easier once this is known.
The layout I have separates the navagation into two separate types -
beginner (a person new to GNOME, member of the press, windows users
etc...) and expert (developer, gnome fanatic, regular users that are
familiar with linux). This navigation is quite prominent on the home
page, but once the user goes to a subpage, the navigation and logo will
shrink to the top and side to minimize page real-estate used, giving more
focus on the content.

Anyway, that's my thought for the morning.