Re: What license are dbus-gmain.[ch] under?

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Ghee Teo <Ghee Teo sun com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am wonder what these two files are licensed under, the snipplet at the
>  end.
>
>  Is this LGPL or GPL or  Academic Free License version 2.1?
>  Thanks,
>
>  -Ghee
>
>  /* GIO - GLib Input, Output and Streaming Library
>   *
>   * Copyright (C) 2006-2007 Red Hat, Inc.
>   *
>   * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>   * modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
>   * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
>   * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>   *
>   * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>   * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>   * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
>   * Lesser General Public License for more details.
>   *
>   * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General
>   * Public License along with this library; if not, write to the
>   * Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330,
>   * Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
>   *
>   * Author: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
>   */
>
>  /* -*- mode: C; c-file-style: "gnu" -*- */
>  /* dbus-gmain.c GLib main loop integration
>   *
>   * Copyright (C) 2002, 2003 CodeFactory AB
>   * Copyright (C) 2005 Red Hat, Inc.
>   *
>   * Licensed under the Academic Free License version 2.1
>   *
>   * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>   * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>   * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>   * (at your option) any later version.
>   *
>   * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>   * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>   * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
>   * GNU General Public License for more details.
>   *
>   * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>   * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
>   * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
>   *
>   */

IANAL, but if I were asked to explain it I'd say that since that code
came from dbus-glib, that the code in that file is under the GPL/AFL
dual-license, and that the collective work of GVFS is LGPL, which is
why the LGPL copyright header is at the top of the file.

(And so you know, GVFS questions should be asked on the GVFS mailing list,
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gvfs-list
But it's easy to mistake, the list is very new).

Hope that helps,
-A.Walton