Re: GVfs status report

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 10:47 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
Hi,

On 9/14/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
Well, the same class is used on both unix and windows. Its the
implementation of "native files", and I don't see any need to split it
out really. What differences would there be between the two?

My impression is that ideally on Windows you use the native
windows-looking file API, and that the file-descriptor-using API is
some kind of weird emulation hack. But I could not comment
intelligently on the details.

I assume so. Its part of the libc runtime on windows. However, the
question is, apart from one layer less, what are the other advantages?

Pygtk is currently unable to use GIOChannel because both Glib and
Python use file descriptor API, but different C runtime libraries. Or
something like that. Nobody knows for sure. Problem is, C library on
windows is just some library, not the foundation on which everything
is built. Plus, there is some fun with "normal" file descriptors and sockets.
So you can have two integers corresponding to the same file, or you can
have one integer corresponding to two different files.

Best regards,
Yevgen