Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 22:49 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
>> There might also be problems with IRI-based gvfs and URI-based gnome-vfs
>> wanting to using different URLs to refer to the same file?
>
> Thats already possible in thousands of ways. You can use different case
> for hex escape, escape various sets of chars, add "/./" to the path,
> etc, etc. Non-canonicalized URIs are very much not unique.

Right, sorry, I meant I was wondering if there were cases where the
*canonicalized* forms are different in an incompatible/incomprehensible
way. Like if gvfs thought "ftp://ftp.gnome.org/dir/a%20%E5%E4%F6.txt";
pointed to a file with an iso-8859-1-encoded name, and gnome-vfs thought
it pointed to a file with a UTF-8-encoded name, and so you'd either get
a different file or a file not found error when you traded the URI
between gvfs and gnome-vfs. (That example is probably completely bogus,
which is why I didn't give an example in my original mail, but hopefully
you get the idea.)

-- Dan