Handling of connection-specific parameters (was: Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement)

Am Freitag, den 22.09.2006, 16:18 +0200 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> Actually, it still problematic in some cases. Consider a network share
> (say ftp) that somehow (via prefs or the protocol) specifies what
> encoding its filenames are in. The problem is that not all filenames
> might be valid in this encoding (for instance, the server says
> everything is in utf-8 but one file is in latin-1).

How do you plan to implement connection- or mount-specific parameters?
This includes things like network compression levels, whether the login
directory instead of the actual FS root should be used as URI/IRI
basename, maybe whether the target should be mounted r/o etc..

Maybe these properties could be exposed via D-Bus, and we'd get
protocol-specific key/value/tooltip triples which can be used in a GUI.

There would then also include attributes applicable for all mounts, like
a user-visible display name, an icon name etc. After all, we get lots of
user requests for VFS mount renaming caps. Do you have any idea on the
storage of this data?

I used to play around with ideas for allowing full connection
serialization into URIs/IRIs, i.e.
environment:opt1=foo&opt2=bar&opt3=foobar#protocol:/// but I wonder how
applicable this is, taken that there are drafts around specifying
another syntax, for instance for SFTP connection parameters [1]:

sftp_URI = "sftp://"; [ userinfo "@" ] host [ ":" port ]
      [;conn-parameter=value] [ abs_path ] [;sftp-parameter=value]

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-00

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>