Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 11:26 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> Complicated URIs like FTP need graphical support to be usable
> by mortals (we have server, port, login, password, encoding,
> directory, filename). How about we have the backend register
> some sort of edit dialog that can present all this information
> graphically rather than (just) a textual encoding?

If we didn't have a text entry for the location dialog there wouldn't be
a problem at all. A desktop can work fine with using things like path
bars in browser mode, spatial mode, the entry-less fileselector, connect
to server (which is what you describe above) etc.

However, people demand a text-entry for filenames, that is just a fact
of life we can't get away from.

He's a fiendish pirate librarian on a search for his missing sister. She's a
cold-hearted junkie nun with someone else's memories. They fight crime!