Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 12:55 +0200, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 12:31 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>> Do you dislike the idea of moving the GError as a member of the
>> GInputStream instance ?
>
> Its very uncommon, I'm not sure people will expect that. It will also
> break things from language mappings that handle GErrors in a special way
> (say, as an exception).

It wouldn't be impossible to wrap. We'd just have to check the per-object
error after every call, instead of checking an error parameter for every
call. We wouldn't be able to use the auto-generation stuff that expects it
to be a parameter.

For introspected bindings, the introspection data would have to specify
that there's a separate error to be checked.

Cairo also has a per-object error status which cairomm throws as an
exception.

I don't know what the advantages/disadvantages are.

>> >   gssize   (* read)        (GInputStream *stream,
>> > 			    void         *buffer,
>> > 			    gsize         count,
>> > 			    GError      **error);
[snip]