Re: Implementing bluetooth:/// in gnome-vfs

On 5/18/06, Priit Laes <amd store20 com> wrote:
Hello,

Hi,

Yesterday-today I checked a bit the gnome-vfs sources and wanted to try
something like bluetooth:// wrapper ;)

I tried to do the same thing a while back, if you want screenshots: http://shackan.altervista.org/bluetools.png

Would gnome-vfs be the right place for this kind of stuff?

After my experience I would NOT reccomend gnome-vfs for what you want to do, gnome-vfs is mainly focused on browsing _files_, I tried to hack bluetooth service browsing in it but the result wasn't quite satisfactory (as services are not actually files, I had to create some fake .desktop files on the fly and feed them to the gnome-vfs layer).
Of course it can be done, and probably way better than how I did, another option would be to improve gnome-bluetooth, or even to rewrite everything from scratch like I did (see the bluetooth browser in the screenshot, the gnome-vfs plugin was actually only a side project), the choice is up to you :-)

regards,
Paul