Re: Add GnomeVFSDrive for non-mountable device

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 20:26 +0000, Cameron Harris wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to add a GnomeVFSDrive for a device that provides filesystem
> functionality via a custom USB protocol (not mass storage). I am
> writing a gnome-vfs module for this device, and it is detected
> uniquely by HAL.
>
> When this device is opened, a message will appear on the screen of the
> device indicating to the user that it shouldn't be unplugged from the
> computer. Ideally, the user should be able to right click and click
> "Unmount volume", and the vfs_module_shutdown would be called, closing
> the device.
>
> I can't find any API or documentation on adding custom GnomeVFSDrive
> and GnomeVFSVolumes, nor any on using HAL to do it. Is this possible?
> If so how?

At the moment there is really not support for it. However, the initial
plan was to support this. The GnomeVFSVolumeType type
GNOME_VFS_VOLUME_TYPE_VFS_MOUNT is meant to be exactly this. I planned
to add some sort of module support so that you could write code that
detects plugins of a device and automatically generate a VFS_MOUNT
volume object at a specific uri and tell everyone about it. The
detection plugin would run in the vfs daemon, which has a nice
environment with a guaranteed mainloop etc.

I don't think anyone is working on finishing this at the moment, but I
don't think its much work if someone was interested.

He's a war-weary devious cop on the run. She's a transdimensional communist
traffic cop who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!