Re: Fixing SMB browsing

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 10:56 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 09:49 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >
> >         > The basic requirement is that the user only gets prompted
> >         for
> >         > authentication when absolutely necessary.
> >
> >         Seems like a reasonable goal.
>
> I just glanced over your mail, and I saw this. I'm not sure this is a
> reasonable goal at all. A very common situation is that you have a share
> that allows anonymous read-only access, but if you actually log in
> correctly you can write too. With the strategy you describe above you
> would never get prompted for a username in this case, and thus you would
> never be able to log in to get write access to the share.
>
> Also, things get complicated with browsing. For instance, I think its
> possible for a non-anonymous share enumeration to return more results
> than an anonymous one. This is common with e.g. homedirs on smb, but
> could also happen if you want to hide shares from guest users. In this
> case if we always fall back to anonymous enumeration if possible we
> would never show such shares.

Oh, and I think the current approach to handle things like this was
supposed to be something like this:

* Never use password to enumerate list of servers. (I don't think this
is necessary.)
* Otherwise, always ask for password, and if you don't fill in anything,
use an anonymous login.
* If you've once done any login on a server (enumeration or share,
anonymous or w/ username+password) we store that username+password as
the "default" for all access on that server, and whenever we try to
connect to any share on it we first try this username+password combo
without asking the user (although we ask if that login fails).

I'm not sure this is exactly what is happening, but i believe that was
the goal.

He's a jaded Republican shaman possessed of the uncanny powers of an insect.
She's a violent cigar-chomping bodyguard looking for love in all the wrong
places. They fight crime!