Re: Fixing SMB browsing

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 09:49 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

>         > The basic requirement is that the user only gets prompted
>         for
>         > authentication when absolutely necessary.
>
>         Seems like a reasonable goal.

I just glanced over your mail, and I saw this. I'm not sure this is a
reasonable goal at all. A very common situation is that you have a share
that allows anonymous read-only access, but if you actually log in
correctly you can write too. With the strategy you describe above you
would never get prompted for a username in this case, and thus you would
never be able to log in to get write access to the share.

Also, things get complicated with browsing. For instance, I think its
possible for a non-anonymous share enumeration to return more results
than an anonymous one. This is common with e.g. homedirs on smb, but
could also happen if you want to hide shares from guest users. In this
case if we always fall back to anonymous enumeration if possible we
would never show such shares.

He's a scarfaced sweet-toothed dog-catcher with a passion for fast cars. She's
a mistrustful foul-mouthed queen of the dead with an evil twin sister. They
fight crime!