Re: Fixing SMB browsing

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:59 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > - Enables browsing for SMB printers.  When you double-click on a SMB
> > printer in Nautilus, it will launch gnome-cups-add to let you configure
> > the printer.
>
> To not have printers in the file manager / file system was very much a
> design decision. In general we try very hard to only have actual file
> storage objects in gnome-vfs/nautilus and avoid using gnome-vfs to show
> "lists of objects". There are much better ways to display, browse and
> configure printers than pretending that they are files.

Yeah this is why having a browsing metaphor sucks.  Like in windows you
can pretty much browse wherever and the whole file manager metaphor gets
lost.  Anyways, end of rant.

The problem here is where would you browse for printers?  From
gnome-cups-manager?  IF so, how would you browse it?  You can't rely on
gnome-vfs so I'd think you would have to duplicate smb browsing for
printers, right?

> > - Hides administrative shares like IPC$ and ADMIN$, while showing
> > user-created shares that end in "$".
>
> Is this really common?

It could happen on large corporate networks like mine it depends on how
it's set up.  If they have examples of this then perhaps it's worth
looking at it?

sri