Re: Fixing SMB browsing

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 15:05 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the past few months at Novell, I've been working on Samba-related
> stuff for gnome-vfs and Nautilus.  Attached is a patch for gnome-vfs's
> smb-method.c which does a few things:
>
> - Turns off SMBCCTX_FLAG_NO_AUTO_ANONYMOUS_LOGON.  This is what causes
> the "I get prompted for a password for everything" bug.  I have tried to
> figure out why this flag got introduced, but it only seems to cause
> trouble --- our perform_authentication() and its series of fallbacks
> already take the proper steps to ensure that the user is only prompted
> for authentication if absolutely required.

As Nate says, this is not acceptable. The flag was added for a reason.
If you disable it and feed a username + incorrect password then
gnome-vfs seems to correctly log you in, but really logs in as anonymous
behind your back.

> - Enables browsing for SMB printers.  When you double-click on a SMB
> printer in Nautilus, it will launch gnome-cups-add to let you configure
> the printer.

To not have printers in the file manager / file system was very much a
design decision. In general we try very hard to only have actual file
storage objects in gnome-vfs/nautilus and avoid using gnome-vfs to show
"lists of objects". There are much better ways to display, browse and
configure printers than pretending that they are files.

> - Hides administrative shares like IPC$ and ADMIN$, while showing
> user-created shares that end in "$".

Is this really common?

He's an old-fashioned guerilla romance novelist searching for his wife's true
killer. She's a radical red-headed wrestler who hides her beauty behind a pair
of thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!