Re: ACL to permissions patch

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 14:39 +0000, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>    I've just realized that I forgot to apply a quite important patch to
>    the ACL branch that we created before the 2.16 release.
>
>    The patch makes the VFS to check the ACL entries - if present - when
>    it calculates a file access permission.
>
>    Right now, Nautilus is misbehaving on ACL enabled file systems
>    because the gnome-vfs file module only checks the file permissions
>    without checking the ACL entries.
>
>    The patch is attach.  Is it okay to commit to HEAD?

This is quite weird. Are you saying that a call to access() (which we do
to get the access info) doesn't take the ACLs into account? I assumed
the kernel would return the correct thing for that. In fact it seems
much safer to let the kernel do the native access checking using the
access() syscall than trying to emulate what it does in userspace.

He's a benighted flyboy senator from the 'hood. She's a chain-smoking goth
Hell's Angel with an MBA from Harvard. They fight crime!