Re: Adding API for editing GnomeVFSVolume's

>On 9/13/05, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> These all look likes function to edit parts of a uri only when its in a
> specific place. Thats a very non-orthogonal API. We already have
> functions to set the various parts of a uri, so all thats needed is a
> way to change the uri of a connected server.

That's what I had in mind.  I felt it was easiest ( possible safest?)
to use those functions to modify the uri of connected servers.  We
can't have much of an api to edit anything other then connected
servers and connected servers seem to really exist as just a uri
pointing to the location.

> A GnomeVFSVolume is actually a distributed object that exists in all
> clients of the volume manager, so just changing it in the memory of one
> client doesn't work at all. Furthermore, there are locking and thread
> issues in the daemon that make this even more complicated.

Could you please expand on this a bit more.  I figured there would be
issues with just chaning it in memory.  Do we have to wait to change
it until there are no lock? or can we only change it for opened
connections?  Or tell me where the source is for this part so I can
read over it.  There doesn't really seem to be any docs about this
portion of gnome-vfs so I just went with what I could see looking at
the source as a starting point.

> Also, any API for this can't be named just gnome_vfs_volume_foo, because
> that seems like it would work on any volume, when in fact it only works
> for connected servers.

Where this api is really just to edit connected_servers I didn't
really think it should be name gnome_vfs_volume but I didn't like
gnome_vfs_connected_server because it is getting on the long side
(though I have no problem with something like that if that would be
preferred).