Re: Adding API for editing GnomeVFSVolume's

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 20:18 -0600, Trevor Davenport wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was talking on #nautilus about adding support to be able to edit
> connected servers after they have been created.  Currently your only
> option is the umount the connection and then recreate it.  I was told
> that we needed to add support to gnome-vfs so that we can edit
> GnomeVFSVolume's first.  This is what i have created so far to add
> this.  One missing item is the ability to  change what gnome-vfs
> method the connection uses.   From what I could see gnome-vfs doesn't
> have a function to do this on normal uri's so I wasn't sure if it is
> wanted or not.  I think it would be useful.  Below is what I have
> created thus far.  Comments please.

These all look likes function to edit parts of a uri only when its in a
specific place. Thats a very non-orthogonal API. We already have
functions to set the various parts of a uri, so all thats needed is a
way to change the uri of a connected server.

A GnomeVFSVolume is actually a distributed object that exists in all
clients of the volume manager, so just changing it in the memory of one
client doesn't work at all. Furthermore, there are locking and thread
issues in the daemon that make this even more complicated.

Also, any API for this can't be named just gnome_vfs_volume_foo, because
that seems like it would work on any volume, when in fact it only works
for connected servers.

He's a gun-slinging day-dreaming grifter on a search for his missing sister.
She's a green-fingered extravagent politician with a song in her heart and a
spring in her step. They fight crime!