Re: Prompting for passwords when mounting drives from /etc/fstab

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 17:29 +0000, Nielsen wrote:

> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Why did you enable creating of GnomeVFSDrives from loopback mounts? We
> > explicitly disabled this because things like iso loopback files were
> > often in fstab, and people were badly confused by these showing up as
> > cdrom drives in Computer.
>
> I see. I enabled them because for legacy crypto loop back setups this
> allows the user to mount the drive and get prompted for a password. But
> if this causes all sorts of undesirable things, then I guess I'd have to
> find another solution.

I don't remember all the details unfortunately. But i'm pretty sure it
involved loopback isofs files looking exactly like cdrom drives to the
user.

> However it does beg the question... If a drive is marked as user
> mountable in /etc/fstab why not show it to the user? Note that as far as
> I can see this will only occur in corporate environments, setup by an
> administrator.

Not really, take Klik for instance, it works by creating lots of
loopback mounts in /etc/fstab and using those to mount the klik app
files.

> > +  command = find_command (is_in_media ? PUMOUNT_COMMAND : UMOUNT_COMMAND);
>
> pumount seems to have certain criteria for drives it will unmount. It
> won't unmount /etc/fstab drives that are marked as user mountable.
> umount unmounts these fine. Is there a way to tell if a drive has been
> mounted with pmount?

I don't really know how this is supposed to work, as davidz has done all
this work for redhat. I was hoping he, or the ubuntu developers (who use
pmount) would reply...

He's a witless amnesiac rock star from the Mississippi delta. She's a
manipulative snooty detective from the wrong side of the tracks. They fight
crime!