Re: few questions ... one Segmentation fault

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 09:23 +0200, Thomas Wabner wrote:
> Hi @all,
>
> I have started to use gnome-vfs into the buzztard projects
> (www.buzztard.org) and have few questions:
>
> 1. How can I handle zip files? I have found no informations on the net
> and only one short statement in the header file: extfs handle these. But
> how to build a url thus I can recive a file from the zip archive? For
> example I want to do thinks like that:
> gnomevfs-info /path/to/myfile.zip#zip:/myfile.txt
>
> This is like the tar.gz stuff and should work the same way.

None of the chained uri stuff (tar/zip/etc) really work, and never did.
Long term we hope to fix them, but at the moment they just don't.

> 2. Why gnome-vfs reports no error if a given uri in text is not valid or
> makes non sense. I can for example try this and got no hint about an
> error or something else: gnomevfs-info /path/to/myfile#blabla:#nonsense:
>
> How to cover such stuff?

This is gnome_vfs_make_uri_from_shell_arg() guessing that the argument
is a filename, escaping it and noticing that there is no
"myfile#blabla:#nonsense:" file in "/path/to/".

> 3. Why gnome-vfs needs only absolut paths and cannot work with other
> path structures. Follwing call won't work:
> gnomevfs-info file://./testfile
> What I have to do? (expand it? Is there is a helper method to do
this?)

gnome-vfs uses only absolute uris in all arguments, except the
gnome_vfs_uri_resolve_relative() call which lets you resolve a relative
reference to a specified absolute uri.

The core gnome-vfs has no idea of things like current directory.
However, if you are passed "user" arguments like filenames you should
probably be using functions like gnome_vfs_make_uri_from_shell_arg,
gnome_vfs_make_uri_from_input,
gnome_vfs_make_uri_from_input_with_trailing_ws or
gnome_vfs_make_uri_from_input_with_dirs.

> 4. If you try this: gnomevfs-info
> file:///./myfile.tar.gz#gzip:#tar:/testfile you got a segmentation
> fault. I think the problem is in the tar module.

tar method is crap. See above.

He's a suicidal skateboarding Green Beret plagued by the memory of his
family's brutal murder. She's a warm-hearted foul-mouthed research scientist
with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!