gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-panel and nautilus hog the CPU on some upgraded boxes

I've spent the last few days upgrading a number of boxes from Red Hat 8
(Gnome 2.0) and Fedora Core 1 (Gnome 2.4) to Fedora Core 3 (Gnome 2.8).

A few machines show a perplexing behaviour: CPU usage by gnome-vfs-
daemon, gnome-panel and nautilus, as reported by top, quickly goes up
close to 100%, making the machine unusable.

Should I delete /tmp/orbit-user or /tmp/gconfd-user, or what should I
look into? I've devoted way too much time to hunting this one down, and
I don't have a clue.
--
Oscar A. Valdez