smb:// does not list domains in some networks

Hi,

smb:// method is not listing any domains/workgroups in our office
network (there are as many as 30 domains in our office network). Couple
of weeks back, I worked in a customer location and there smb:// lists
all their domains. Also another customer reports the same issue in his
network. The problem was not there in our office network before the
recent smb-method rewrite. I have attached the debug output.

After debugging, I think the problem lies in, where the code is trying
to authenticate for the top level (enumerating work group), which should
not be done.

smb-method.c:update_workgroup_cache() function:

while (perform_authentication (&actx) > 0) {
   dir = smb_context->opendir (smb_context, "smb://");
   actx.res = (dir != NULL) ? GNOME_VFS_OK : gnome_vfs_result_from_errno
();
}

Why should this be done for top level ?

Neilsen: If I remove perform_authentication() for top level, then the
problem seen is resolved. Is that change fine ? If so, I can make the
patch and submit a patch to bugzilla.

Regards,
Narayana
        <-- smb module init called -->
LOCK
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/muktha/.smb/smb.conf":
        No such file or directory
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
Using netbios name CIN-SMB.
Using workgroup TUX-NET.
UNLOCK
do_get_file_info() smb:///
do_get_file_info() smb:///
do_open_directory() smb:///
update_workgroup_cache: enumerating workgroups
LOCK
[auth] Initializing Authentication
[auth] perform_authentication called.
[auth] First authentication pass
[auth] auth_callback called: server: 10.114.10.139 share: IPC$
[auth] Initial authentication lookups
[auth] No credentials, returning null values
add_cached_server: server: 10.114.10.139, share: IPC$, domain: , user:
Could not enumerate domains using ''
[auth] perform_authentication called.
[auth] Non-authentication error. Leaving auth loop.
[auth] Cleaning up Authentication
UNLOCK
do_read_directory()
do_close_directory: 0x8479e40