Re: [Utopia] [patch] improved hal support for gnome-vfs

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 10:43 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 12:00 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> David!  This is great, this is the future.

Hey, thanks.

> Two questions ...
>
> >  - show a GnomeVFSDrive even when there is no media in the drive
>
> Hrm, that is a lot of media readers to show on my desktop that are
> entirely unusable.  I'd prefer to show icons for media, not drives.  So
> if there is a removable drive with no media, we don't show it.

Yea, I dunno. Before this patch you would sometime see a drive for your
optical drive or IDE Zip drive but not one for your USB Zip Drive. So,
this is basically to be more consistent.

I also like the fact that people see that the system recognizes the
drive. And, you know, I think when we get e.g. icons for "Compact Flash
Drive" and perhaps a view in Nautilus that divides drives into
categories (a'la WinXP?) this will be much clearer, don't you think? But
it's really a HCI question; I just wrote some code :-)

Another thing is that if you want only to see media, not drives, this is
what you use the "Places" menu for in the desktop / look at icons on the
desktop.

> >  - Move all icon/name selection from libhal-storage back into gnome-vfs
> >    (all the policy/icon/name stuff will be deprecated from hal shortly)
> >  - Support gconf keys specifying what drives to show and what drives
> >    to hide
>
> Can we make / are these mandatory so we can lockdown?

Can be mandatory but the default install only make them default.

I was thinking this is something the distributor would want to customize
(for Fedora I'm thinking it's a function of the install type, e.g.
"Personal Desktop" it's not mandatory). Ideally we'd do a patch for the
Nautilus preferences for the user to tweak these (and grey them out if
they are mandatory).

Cheers,
David