webdav and file overwriting

I am new to the list, so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong area. I am the maintainer of an open source document management system. It has a webdav interface which I have spent some time recently modifying to work with Gnome 2.10's Webdav client in VFS. My question is regarding behavior in gnome which I am not seeing in any other webdav clients. When overwriting a file, the gnome client deletes the file from the server before uploading the new file. Other clients simply upload the file and allow the server to handle the overwrite. The latter is the behavior I desire, as my document management system maintains revision histories of files. If a file is deleted by the client, then all past revisions are lost as well. With other clients, the new revision is simply created when the file is "overwritten". Upon reading the spec for COPY with overwrite set to True, it states the server must initiate a delete of the file to be overwritten, not the client.

If someone could provide some insight on this, or let me know if I'm misinterpreting something, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Eric.