Re: ssh-method pty support

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 00:44, Chris Parker wrote:
> Reply below.
>
> On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 09:56 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:54, Chris Parker wrote:
> > > I added pty support to the gnome-vfs ssh module.
> > >
> > > The changes can be found here:
> > > http://mrcsparker.homelinux.net/~parkerc/files/ssh-method/
> > >
> > > It does not have keyring support, but it does support URLs like
> > > ssh://user:pass server and if you do not enter a password it will ask
> > > your password via dialog (though this is quite annoying as it does not
> > > store any information so it will keep asking you while it connects).
> > >
> > > Large sections of this code were ripped right out of the sftp-method in
> > > gnome-vfs.  It uses the pty-open code in gnome-vfs to read from the pty.
> > >
> > > I would make more changes, but I am not whether this module is really
> > > being worked on.  I would like to add the following:
> > >
> > > 1. keyring support
> > > 2. change user name
> > > 3. caching support
> > > 4. fix some of the problems with editing/adding/copying files from the
> > > local machine to the server.
> > >
> > > Any changes I make I will be sure to merge with sftp-method.
> > >
> > > Let me know, and I will start working.
> >
> > While I think that supporting ptys is good and i'll have a look at the
> > patch later I just need to ask you a question. Why did you chose to work
> > on the ssh: method? The sftp method is faster, cleaner and conceptually
> > better. Is there some reason it doesn't work for you?

> About a year ago I promised Mark Finlay that I would work on the
> ssh-method with him.  I worked on it but I lost the code.  I had some
> time at work so I patched together some code.
>
> Plus, it was there to work on.  KDE has a ssh method, why shouldn't
> GNOME?  I agree on the fact that scp is better, but ssh is included and
> so why not make it better?

Well, the reason its there is mainly that its older than the sftp one.
The ssh method will always be slower, and its only claim to fame over
sftp is to work on ssh1 servers (i think). It might be better to just
delete it and focus our work on just one ssh backend. We could even
alias ssh: to sftp:, since they are compatible.

He's an immortal ninja paramedic with a winning smile and a way with the
ladies. She's a ditzy nymphomaniac widow who can talk to animals. They fight
crime!