Re: Questions about Gnome-VFS

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 21:07, nf wrote:

> 5) What about GnomeVFSVolume and GnomeVFSDrive? What's their role in the
> whole game? Are they related to authentication and sessions? When i
> connect to a server via gnome_vfs_open(uri) - does Gnome-VFS
> automatically create a Volume or Drive object?

Drives represent the physical drives (i.e. /dev/hda, /dev/sdc, etc.) and
Volumes are the mounted partitions (i.e. /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2,
/dev/sdc1, etc.).  As the code stands now we have a one to one
relationship between drives and volumes as dictated by fstab and mtab.
This is conceptually awkward but made the implementation a lot simpler.
Now that we have HAL I have been working on putting the finishing
touches on the one-to-many concept in which each drive can hold more
than one mounted volume (which how it works in the real world).  Since
Gnome 2.8 the one-to-many code is implemented in Gnome-VFS's core though
it is not utilized and currently works in a backwards compatibility mode
in which each drive only has one volume in its volume   Hope that helps.

--
J5