url-encoding for http addresses

Hello,

I just upgraded gnome-vfs2 on my Debian testing machine from 2.6.2 to
2.8.3, and it seems that the default interpretation of http uri's has
changed.  In 2.6, gnome-vfs2 breaks if you don't url-encode any http
uri's you give it.  In 2.8, it breaks if you do.

First of all, is this change documented anywhere?  Second, is there a
simple way to check for versions so that I can write code that will
work with both the old and new conventions?

Thanks,
Walter Landry
wlandry ucsd edu