mime_type_is_known()

I was working on Coaster today and I had recently upgraded to gnome-vfs
2.7 and I got a warning from bakery about an mime-type that was unknown.
I checked and all the mime-types that coaster uses are registered
correctly and nautilus reports them correctly.  I started digging and
found that bakery uses Gnome::Vfs::Mime::type_is_known(), which wraps
gnome_vfs_mime_type_is_known().  I opened up the source to that function
and saw this:

gboolean
gnome_vfs_mime_type_is_known (const char *mime_type)
{
	if (mime_type == NULL) {
		return FALSE;
	}

	g_return_val_if_fail (!does_string_contain_caps (mime_type),
			      FALSE);

	if (!gnome_vfs_mime_inited)
		gnome_vfs_mime_init ();

	reload_if_needed ();

	return FALSE;
}

Why does this function always return false?  If this is the correct
behavior for this function, is there a way to tell if an mime-type is
known?

Bryan Forbes
bryan reigndropsfall net
http://www.reigndropsfall.net

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless
minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
        - Samuel Adams, an architect of the Constitution

Key fingerprint = 3D7D B728 713A BB7B B8B1  5B61 3888 17E0 70CA 0F3D