Re: gnome-vfs HACKING file

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 07:51, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 13:33, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > the gnome-vfs HACKING file in cvs HEAD says to send gnome-vfs-related
> > patches to gnome-vfs gnome org  This email address is not valid though.
> > Could the maintainer fix this ? Not knowing what to do with my patch, I
> > am sending it here.

I fixed this in the HACKING file.

> > Originally, I wrote the attached patch which fixes a bug in
> > gnome_vfs_file_info_matches: the permissions field was not correctly
> > tested during matching. This caused a rather hard-to-reproduce
> > timing-related bug in the nautilus permissions property dialog.
> >
> > This patch is against gnome-vfs cvs HEAD. This bug is present in the
> > gnome 2.4 release.

In general this patch might likely be right. However I still like to
understand what happened that caused problems? How come you ended up
comparing two file_infos that were identical, except for the
permissions?

These file_infos were probably from the same file at two times after the
permissions changed, so one could argue that in some sense they "match",
since the contents of the file is identical.

If we need to handle permissions like this when matching them, don't we
need to look at uid, gid, and possibly other things too? In some way,
isn't this changing the semantics of file_info matching, turning it onto
an equals function?

He's a war-weary Republican inventor with a winning smile and a way with the
ladies. She's a time-travelling out-of-work former first lady with an evil
twin sister. They fight crime!