Re: ntfsprogs libntfs:// method handler

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:53:30 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 08:19, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > 	gnomevfs-ls file:///dev/hda1#libntfs:/Windows
> >
> > as a Gnome-VFS filter driver for the universal NTFS access without any kernel
> > driver requirement.
> This doesn't look generally useful. The user doesn't typically have read
> access to the device files,

It is expected to be run by 'root'. The goal is to prevent the kernel driver
requirement. Userland GnomeVFS is also a non-Linux crossplatform solution.

> Since its read-only it can't really break the fs, but it can surely break the
> vfs module if something else changes the FS under it.

You are right although I do not expect libnfts:// handler would be used if the
filesystem gets already mounted.

> but I don't think it should be distributed with the main gnome-vfs tarball.

OK, I (have to) respect. :-)

> (gnome-vfs-extras is just a
> license workaround. It is GPL, since it uses samba.)

I did not notice the license difference before, thanks for the hint.

Jan Kratochvil

Jan Kratochvil; Captive: free R/W NTFS Filesystem;