Re: startup notification in the mime data

On 26 Mar 2003, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi dudie,
>
> On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 15:58, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > I want to add startup notification to nautilus, such that if you click on
> > a document, and the handler for that document supports startup
> > notification you get it. However, when i do the mimetype -> application
> > mapping I don't get knowledge about whether the app supports startup
> > notification.
>
> 	I imagine all of this information needs structuring in a pleasant,
> extensible, scalable and standard way in the future, but for now the
> only real choice is to expand the set of application attributes in
> gnome-vfs.applications - surely ?

If that is possible in a way that is backwards compat with Gnome 1 and
2.2 it would be an easy way. I haven't looked at if this is possible yet.

> 	Of course - whatever happens in future, I really hope that it doesn't
> involve reading / parsing hundreds of scattered .desktop files from
> disk, with the concomitant insuperable seek time penalty.

I'm not a native meeks speaker. What does "concomitant insuperable"
mean? :)

If you mean "don't replace the mime system with something stupid", don't
worry, I'll make sure we won't.

He's a notorious one-eyed romance novelist from the 'hood. She's a disco-crazy
Bolivian soap star descended from a line of powerful witches. They fight
crime!