RE: GnomeVFS API and libgnome API ?

> I'm still confused as to when we can use the
> gnome-vfs-2.0 shared library on a linux box (and what
> test we should perform to check for it). I thought it
> would require the gnome window manager, but it also
> works with KDE (RH8.0, Suze8.1). Anybody knows?

gnome-vfs is a gnome library, ie gnome apps use it for their file
access. However, it's quite low in the dependency stack, it doesn't have
any gui, so it only depends on gui-less gnome libs like glib,
bonobo-activation, libxml2, and maybe a few more. It's totally possible
to use an app linked against gnome-vfs in KDE, the only drawback is that
you'll have to install a few gnome libs if you are only using KDE and
don't have gnome installed.
To check if gnome-vfs is available, just use pkg-config. See
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/porting/ar01s05.html#pkg-config
(especially the part about PKG_CHECK_MODULES) to see how you can check
at configure time if gnome-vfs is available.

Hope that helps,

Christophe