Re: UTF-8 sequences in filenames

Hi Dmitry,

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 07:29, Dmitry G. Mastrukov wrote:
> The problem exists in non-unicode locales (ru_RU.KOI8-R, ru_RU.CP1251)
> with mamy GNOME apps (gedit, glade, nautilus at least). Files with
> national filenames are viwed through file selector (G_BROKEN_FILENAMES
> is set) and can be opened. But newly created files looks on filesystem
> (in mc for example) as UTF-8 sequences.

	Right - so; using locale encoded filenames on the disk is a really,
really bad idea :-) simply because there is never sufficient information
to unwind the encoding (think networking, file sharing, etc.).

	So - the right way to go is utf-8 everywhere - G_BROKEN_FILENAMES is
only a way to help migration towards that. The issue of course is that
the whole Unix world needs fixing to be UTF-8 happy - so, really 'mc'
needs fixing. [ you also want a utf-8 aware terminal - such as xterm /
vte ].

	At least - that's as far as I understand it,

	Regards,

		Michael.