Re: categorical file system

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 02:58, JP Bernardy wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone is working on a module for some sort of
> a "categorical file system" ?

Working would be strong work, but I'm thinking about the idea of doing
something like that for MP3s, where the filesystem is built on their ID3
tags.  Something like an IPod or Rhythmbox built right into your
filesystem.  So you could access the same file lots of different ways
with out having different copies:

music:///By Artist/Garbage/Beautiful Garbage/Cherry Lips.mp3
music:///By Album/Beautiful Garbage/Cherry Lips.mp3
music:///By Genre/Rock/Garbage/Beautiful Garbage/Cherry Lips.mp3

I think that it'd also be cool if you could have an incoming directory
where you could 'drag-and-drop' a file off of a CD and it would tag and
encode it for you, but that's a little advanced.

Anyway, no, I haven't done it.  But I've thought about it, I don't know
when I'm going to get around to it.  It sounds really cool though.

		--Ted