categorical file system

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone is working on a module for some sort of a "categorical file system" ?

I'm thinking of something in the vein of newdocms
(http://m-arriaga.net/software/newdocms/), but somehow embedded
in a hierarchical view.

To be more concrete:

/path-to-document-db#cfs/doctype=letter/author=Bob
would lead to a folder where I could find all letters by Bob.
Since it might be quite a lot of files, the system would present me with subfolders
with relevant subcategories (i.e. recipient=Alice, recipient=Charles, subject=..., etc.)

Of course, I could start with
/path-to-document-db#cfs/author=Bob
Among subfolders, there would be "doctype=letter".

Does something already exist with that functionality?
Is someone working on it?

If not, I might start hacking such a thing...

Cheers,
JP.

Do you Yahoo!?