Gnome-VFS troubleshooting

I'm having a bit of trouble with gnomevfs.  Currently I'm using gnomevfs
2.3.3 (gentoo) but I've had this same problem for as long as I can
remember.  Anything that depends on the http protocol seems to fail.
This includes internet music streaming, i.e. rhythmbox.  FTP and SMB
seem to work fine.  If i try anything with http, I get the error "Host
has no address".  Searching through the archives has turned up nothing,
as has searching google.  Are there any dependencies necessary for
gnomevfs to be able to successfully create http connections?
--
Jeff Rollins <jrollins charged-web com>