Re: adding new info to GnomeVFSFileInfo

On 13 Sep 2002 12:07:13 -0700
Ian McKellar <yakk yakk net> wrote:

> This is definately something we want. Nautilus has this idea in its
> NautilusFile objects so theres even some logic there we can base it off.
> Seth and I have discussed putting it into GnomeVFSFileInfo, I think Seth
> had some particular idea about how thought it should be done, as far as
> I'm concerned it can just be a bitfield added to the end with another
> flag in the flags field to indicate its validity. This makes *much* more
> sense for non-local filesystems (when uid/gid/perms makes no sense) and
> also answers the kind of questions that applications want to ask.

I wrote a quick patch over the week end which does exactly that, and I modified the file: method so that it correctly fills the new bitfield. I forgot the patch at home, so I'll send it tomorrow.

I planned to also modify the ftp and ssh method where it's more interesting. The problem is that I didn't find a 100% reliable way to find this information for FTP. One possibility is to compare the username used to log in the ftp server with the name of the owner of a file given by ls output, but that won't work correctly if the user isn't the owner of the file, but is in a group with special rights on this file. That's still better than nothing though.

A little offtopic, but I'm mentionning it for the records: the parse_ls_lga function has some code which makes no sense at all for non local files (it retrieves the uid/gid of the current user and for the owner/group of a file) while it is only used in gnome-vfs to parse ls issued on non-local files.

I'll post a patch as soon as I can,

Cheers,

Christophe