Re: Dealing with relative paths to local file's URIs

On 9 Sep 2002, Ian McKellar wrote:

> From: Ian McKellar <yakk yakk net>
> Subject: Re: Dealing with relative paths to local file's URIs
>
> On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 03:40, Chipzz wrote:
> > On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Archit Baweja wrote:
> > > I recently converted the File I/O of my HTML Editor to GnomeVFS (it previously
> > > used the standard FILE* API of the standard C lib).
> > >
> > > However for local files, now it only accepts the absolute path to the file.
> > > Relative paths like some/weird/foo/bar/dir/file or ./filename or ../filename
> > > are no longer accepted, and gnome_vfs_open_uri gives the "Invalid URI" error.
> > >
> > > So any suggested way to deal with this shortcoming/problem of GnomeVFS? Maybe
> > > using stat in conjungtion with GnomeVFS or is there a helper API to the
> > > GnomeVFSURI API?
> > >
> > You should be aware that relative uri's are resolved relative to _your
> > home dir_, NOT to the current dir. And yes, think that's a bug...
>
> Okay, this is clearly an unacceptable limitation. I think changing the
> existing behaviour of gnome_vfs_uri_new would be bad but perhaps we
> should add a new function that constructs a URI relative to the current
> directory? We can put this in 2.2 and people can copy&paste it till
> then.
>
> Ian

We took this up a few months ago, and IIRC seth said back then that this
was not intended behaviour and any app relying on it was broken... But I
may be mistaken...
What app would be relying on this behaviour anyway? I think relatively
few make use of local relative paths, only nautilus maybe?

BTW, sorry for my initial reply which I guess was kinda inapropriate...

Kind regards,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny