Re: GnomeVFS ioctls, live metadata and dead metadata

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 01:28 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 17:23, Alex Graveley wrote:
I don't think it is cool. Nobody has yet been able to say why a generic API with add-hoc names and add-hoc parsing of metadata values are better
than libraries for specific uses.

What I've always pictured was useful data to show in a generic preview
pane, and file searching/filtering integrated with "content" metadata,
all cached and indexed.  Things like saved searches or rhythmbox being
able to ask vfs for all files "by this artist, on this album, locally or
on the network, with these mime-types".

	Good grief; you want to build a database into gnome-vfs as well now ?!

Eh? Well, if gnome-vfs is going to store dead metadata it'll need some kind of database...

Ian