Re: GnomeVFS ioctls, live metadata and dead metadata

On 21 Nov 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 17:23, Alex Graveley wrote:
> > > I don't think it is cool. Nobody has yet been able to say why a generic
> > > API with add-hoc names and add-hoc parsing of metadata values are better
> > > than libraries for specific uses.
> >
> > What I've always pictured was useful data to show in a generic preview
> > pane, and file searching/filtering integrated with "content" metadata,
> > all cached and indexed.  Things like saved searches or rhythmbox being
> > able to ask vfs for all files "by this artist, on this album, locally or
> > on the network, with these mime-types".
>
> 	Good grief; you want to build a database into gnome-vfs as well now ?!
>
> 	Sigh,

[sarcasm warning, don't take this seriously]

It would just be another metadata! It's great!
You just ask for the metadata named:

sql:SELECT filename, size FROM DIR RECURSIVE WHERE id3:artist = "Britney Spears" AND NOT id3:album contains "Oops!"

on a directory. And after the query optimizers, the recursive id3 decoding
of all files and the database query have run you'll get back the result as
an xml string that you just have to parse to get the list of files to display.

It's even better when it starts following cross-method uri-symlinks to
download and id3-decode mp3s from the web. Imagine it indexing all the
files at mp3.com using that simple metadata request. Its the best thing
since monikers!

:)

He's a superhumanly strong ninja dwarf with no name. She's a cosmopolitan
insomniac vampire with an evil twin sister. They fight crime!