Re: NFS method

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 00:41, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:21:52AM +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > I've been for a couple of days working on a NFS method for gnome-vfs
> > (gnome-network/vfs) and just found out there's a disabled NFS module in
> > gnome-vfs sources.
>
> But wait ... there's more!
>
> There is also some NFS functionality in the 'file' module in gnome-vfs
> (it does NFS and AFS detection for various reasons). Personally, I'd
> prefer to see something like this go in gnome-vfs, rather than
> gnome-network; it's a filesystem, more than a network thing, since the
> user does not really care that the files are accessed over a network.

well, I was doing it in gnome-network, hoping for future inclusion in
gnome-vfs. Although, the NFS stuff I talk about is not about accessing
already mounted volumes, but to be able to have a view of an unmounted
one, exactly as you do with smb:

> For maintainability reasons, if you resuscitate the nfs module, it would
> be good if the code in there wasn't too much duplicated code with the
> file module.

ok, will have a look

> I do not know this history of the gnome-vfs NFS module, so I cannot
> comment on why it is deactivated in the standard build.

I'm trying to enable it in the build, so will be testing it to see what
the problems are.

cheers