Re: ximian-smb branch merged

On 16 Dec 2002, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> > It has gotten some testing at ximian, I don't know exactly how much but
> > its been around a long time. It does fix a lot of outstanding issues, and
> > I don't want to fix all those bugs on HEAD when they've already been
> > fixed. I looked at both branches closely, and decided to use the best one
> > as a starting point for the merge.
>
> ok (I'm still thinking it could have waited until gnome2.4, but if you
> are confident enough that this module works better than the old one,
> that should be ok)

There has been no real development of smb-method HEAD since 2001, and a
lot of people had problems with the old code. I don't think further
delaying bugfixing of it would help anyone.

> > No. I'm sorry about that. It adds a new error to the GnomeVFSResult enum.
> > It is used to finally get a decent error message to a common error that
> > happens when using smb. zero ABI issues, and API is minimally affected
> > since the only programmer-visible change is that an error result for some
> > smb operations changed from a generic error to a more specific one.
> > [The user visible change is that you can get a better error message in
> > this situation]
>
> Btw, what is the policy about extending GnomeVFSResult ? Is it ok to add
> to it method specific values if they are necessary ?

I'm not sure if there is a public policy. But I think it makes sense if
there is no current error message that is close enough and there is an
actual gain from the new error message.

In many cases we could probably generalize the error  and add a new error
message that could also be used by other methods.

He's an oversexed Jewish hairdresser from the Mississippi delta. She's a
brilliant paranoid museum curator with a song in her heart and a spring in her
step. They fight crime!