Re: gnome-dictionary for offline usage?

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 15:59 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
> On Mon, 8 May 2006, Oliver Gerlich wrote:
> >  are there plans to make gnome-dictionary work with a local dictionary
> >  file as well, so it can be used offline?
> You can already use it offline. All you need to do is install the dictd daemon
> on your computer and install the desired dictionaries, and set the dictionary
> server in gnome-dictionary to localhost.

I'm currently writing a transport for local dictionary files, by the

> Alternatively, you may try StarDict, which supports more dictionary file
> formats than gnome-dictionary does.

I'd very much like to support StarDict dictionaries too, but the code
base of the StarDict library is in such a complete mess that would
really take me an inane amount of time just to clean that up to a usable

Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com