New subscriber - first question

Hi,

New to the list, first time question so if this is a well-known situation, my apologies.

Question:

I’m running a Centos Server 8 with Gnome 3.22.2.  The local display, keyboard, and mouse are connected via a KVM switch because those devices are shared with other physical computers.

If I (re)boot the Centos machine without the keyboard/mouse/display actively connected to it, and then later use the KVM to ‘switch to’ the Centos machine I find that I can’t access the system via the (now) local devices.  The mouse and keyboard appear non-responsive and on the display, if I see anything at all, it’s a partial line of gibberish that appears to be a few ansi graphic characters.

I’m assuming that ‘something’ doesn’t initialize properly if the devices aren’t connected during system boot.

However, I can access the system ‘just fine’ via SSH and/or xRDP from a different platform even though the local terminal is non-functional.

Is there a way to recover from this situation and activate the local terminal other than having to reboot the system with it ‘connected’  via the KVM, and if so, what is it?

Thanks.